Skip to content
Steps in initiating a new or revised CAES project:
- Project Director (PD – formerly called Principal Investigator PI) initiates project following his/her College/Department Approval Process.
- Department Head/Chair meets with the CAES Director regarding recommended list of projects
- If approved by CAES Director, PD completes required forms, and obtains signatures
- PD sends complete proposal (electronic & hardcopy with signatures) to Jan at CAES Director’s Office
- Jan checks data and obtains final approval/signatures from the CAES Director
- ABC assigns project number; sets up account(s)
- Jan sends forms to the Research Integrity & Compliance Review Office for their review/approval/signature.
- Jan submits final forms to NIFA via the REEport portal.
- NIFA reviews/approves project; assigns accession number.
- NIFA emails approval to Jan and PD.
- Jan updates database; sends approval letter to Associate Dean of Research with copies to ABC, Department Head and PD. ABC contacts department regarding account numbers.
- PD submits progress report on an annual basis. CAES sends request to departments in November; due in January. (Requests for reports for NIFA grants are sent throughout the year.)
- At the end of the project term, PD has the option to terminate, “renew”, or extend the project (maximum of 5 years). Process starts over.
- If project is denied by NIFA, appropriate steps are taken to remedy the situation.